Friday, February 8, 2008

Addictions & Recovery

My addiction to alcohol in my recovery of almost 7 yrs, a relapse occurs more then likely after the 10th yr or sooner. I can't say I've haven't had a desire to drink, but the memory of the lifestyle I led through my addiction haunts me.

Alcohol calls me everyday, and there isn't a day that goes by that I think of it, my addiction to soma the muscle relaxant is seemingly to me to be hard to deal with I run out of it. So I call myself an addict to almost everything, computer, the computer games, crocheting, my prescriptions, and alcohol.

Addiction has a grasp on everyone, could be coffee, cigarettes, soda, and many other things such as drugs.

Addiction was a term used to describe a devotion, attachment, dedication, inclination, etc.

Nowadays, however, the term addiction is used to describe a recurring compulsion by an individual to engage in some specific activity, despite harmful consequences to the individual's health, mental state or social life. I relate to this, because of my health, isn't important when you recieve the tempation.

The term is often reserved for drug addictions but it is sometimes applied to other compulsions, such as problem gambling, and compulsive overeating. Factors that have been suggested as causes of addiction include genetic, biological/pharmacological and social factors.

My real Dad (I wouldn't call him my Father if my life depended on it) was an alcoholic, and addicted to the drug called "Bennies" which is a drug that causes you to hyper up like crack, speed and other hyper drugs such as caffeine.

Amphetamine (scientific name a-methylphenthylamine) is a synthetic drug that stimulates the heart and respiration, constricts blood vessels and induces sleeplessness. It was originally marketed as Benzedrine in North America in the 1920s and in the U.K. in the mid-'30s for suppressing appetite or preventing narcolepsy.

Amphetamines were available over the counter and quickly became a favorite street drug known as "pep pills" or "Bennies."

The United States air force used it during the Second World War to keep pilots awake on long missions. There were reports that it was one of the drugs used in "brainwashing" by the Communists in the 1950s, and it was also used as a performance-enhancing drug by athletes.

In most countries, amphetamine was severely restricted beginning in the 1950s and is available by prescription, in restricted amounts, for narcolepsy and to control weight. A number of chemical cousins in the amphetamine group are used in low doses for the treatment of Attention Deficit Disorder.




View blog authority


Subscribe to "Internet Lifestyle"


0 comments: